Posted Nov 15, 2017 in Tips
Thanksgiving kicks off the start of the exciting holiday season. While visiting family and bringing your loved ones together is always fun, sometimes we can get careless with safety. When it comes to our dogs, we specifically need to be careful about what foods we’re giving to them on Thanksgiving. It can be easy to get lazy and just give your dog some leftovers, but this can cause accidents. To avoid having a crisis and having to call your vet on Thanksgiving, here are some tips on how to keep your dog safe during this holiday.
While many members at your dinner table may love fatty foods, they can cause issues for our dogs. Some of the things that can happen to our dogs are:
Because of the seriousness of these symptoms, you want to avoid giving your dog any fatty or rich foods like beef fat, poultry skin, and gravy. If you do want to give your dog some of these food like turkey or chicken, be sure you cut off any skin and try to have it unseasoned without gravy. They should also only have a few bites. Stick to unsalted, unbuttered veggies as another item to give to your dog instead of these fatty foods.
While you may think it is a good idea to give your dog any leftover bones from dinner to chew on, it can actually be very dangerous. They can cause intestinal issues and can splinter in the stomach when they are digested. When this happens, the intestines can be severely damaged, which can lead to infection, intestinal blockage, or can even be fatal. To avoid this happening, just buy a proper bone from the dog store that is made for chewing. These are safer and you won’t have to worry!
As we know, our dogs are very curious. They often get into things they shouldn’t, including the trash. When you have meats or their packaging in the trash, this can attract your dog to sniff around and possibly eat something they shouldn’t. If these plastic items or bags are ingested, they can cause damage or blockage. To stop this issue, make sure you keep your trash tied up or away under a cabinet. Since you are bound to be entertaining or distracted, be sure this is away at all times so your dog doesn’t get into something when you’re not looking.
We all know how bad chocolate is for dogs. But sometimes around the holidays we can forget how many items actually have it in them. Cookies and desserts will probably be displayed on a counter or table for guests to eat, which gives dogs the opportunity to easily snag one. Eating chocolate, which contains the dangerous ingredient theobromine can cause:
Be sure you keep an eye on the desserts or any other dishes with chocolate in them. If possible, keep them on a high level such as a high table that your dog can’t reach.
While these are all clear steps you can take, be sure to inform your guests of these rules and dangers. You may have some guests that don’t know the dangers of certain foods, so in general, tell anyone visiting to please not feed your dog anything from their plates. If you do this, you should have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
Questions? Feel free to contact us by filling out the form, giving us a call, or sending an email.